I recently had the pleasure of reading The Step by Step Guide to Freelance Writing Success. Authored by Laura Spencer of Writing Thoughts and Carol Tice of the Freelance Writer’s Den, it promised to answer the questions most new freelancers have about getting started. The ebook is based on several presentations the pair did on getting freelance work that pays well.
Inside the book are 6 chapters covering:
1. How to land your best first markets
2. How to market when you have no clips
3. Marketing strategies for new writers
4. Negotiating good gigs
5. Pro tips and tricks
6. 12 mistakes to avoid
There’s also a Q&A section at the end.
Each chapter has several key sub-sections, covering topics such as:
- The types of assignments that help you break into freelancing
- Which job boards are really worth it
- Marketing via your website and social media
- Negotiating when you’re new to freelancing
- Improving your query letters
I thought the book provided an excellent introduction for new writers, but they aren’t the only ones who can benefit. As a pro writer, I was pleasantly surprised to find a job board I’d never even heard of and a couple of new ideas for researching potential clients and markets. The book is written in a clear, conversational style, making it easy to follow the tips it contains.
With more than 100 pages of useful advice on freelance writing, this book is a steal at $9.99. Check it out for yourself on the Writing Thoughts site.